Re: Examples of translated RFCs

2005-12-06 04:46:36
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

I *think* it has at least a handful of RFCs translated into Japanese,
but my Japanese skills aren't great enough to know if I found the ones
that are there.

There's also <http://www.rfc-editor.org/language.html>, with links to
Spanish and French translation indexes.

Others will have to say if the result has been useful to someone or
not; if I read the tea leaves correctly, none have translated more
than 100 RFCs.

Harald,
there is not a big need of translating RFC from English to other
languages at the present time, people interested in RFC having some
English, except for teaching purposes.

Wrong.

There are a lot of needs and many RFCs and even many IDs translated
into Japanese.

See not only a JPNIC site but also volunteer ones, say:

        http://www.imasy.or.jp/~masaka/rfc-jp/

However, to honor RFC and ID authers, there is no point to include
their names in European or other international characters, because
most readers of Japanes-translated RFCs can't recognize them.

Though some people with Euro-local insights can't distinguish
inter-europeanization and internationalization, many people
can't recognize Euro-local non-ASCII latin characters. Very
few people, if any, recognize all the characters in the world.

So, the names in translated RFCs should remain in ASCII or be
transliterated into Japanese local characters. In either case,
we don't need Unicode. Note that major charsets used in Japan
are ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP, Shift JIS but definitely not any variant
of Unicode.

So, for localized RFCs, that is, translated RFCs, local character
sets, which are often super set of ASCII, are just enough.

                                                        Masataka Ohta