Re: Examples of translated RFCs

2005-12-06 09:55:01
At 12:41 06/12/2005, Masataka Ohta wrote:
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

>> I *think* it has at least a handful of RFCs translated into Japanese,
>> but my Japanese skills aren't great enough to know if I found the ones
>> that are there.
>>
>> There's also <http://www.rfc-editor.org/language.html>, with links to
>> Spanish and French translation indexes.
>>
>> Others will have to say if the result has been useful to someone or
>> not; if I read the tea leaves correctly, none have translated more
>> than 100 RFCs.
>

> Harald,
> there is not a big need of translating RFC from English to other
> languages at the present time, people interested in RFC having some
> English, except for teaching purposes.

Wrong.

There are a lot of needs and many RFCs and even many IDs translated
into Japanese.

I apologise if hurt your Japanese interest, I would certainly defend has I known them.

I trusted the count made by Harald and the reports made by participants to this thread. However since I have no Japanase I have some difficulty to evaluate the real need/offering: on the site you quote there are some brokin links and the RFC numbers _seems_ to be low.

May be will you want to consider the IANA request: "If you are a host, or are aware of an RFC foreign language site, please send us e-mail with the appropriate URLs."? This would avoid this kind of mistake in the future. And may be help a complete directory of the translated documents.

Thank you!
jfc

So, the names in translated RFCs should remain in ASCII or be
transliterated into Japanese local characters. In either case,
we don't need Unicode. Note that major charsets used in Japan
are ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP, Shift JIS but definitely not any variant
of Unicode.

PS. If everyone has the same need and solution, at the end of the day we need ISO 10646. What permits us to scale and print every where?.