Re: Examples of translated RFCs

2005-12-06 23:14:22
Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830 dot hpcl dot titech dot ac dot jp> wrote:

On the other hand, with ISO 10646, I can't print Japanese characters
in China.

This is the same tired argument you have been advancing at least since RFC 1815, ten years ago, and it is no more true now than it was then -- even less so, in fact, since most computers sold all over the world now come with at least one perfectly good Unicode-based font with Chinese-style glyphs and another with Japanese-style glyphs.

I understand you are not happy that Unicode and ISO 10646 chose to unify Chinese hanzi and Japanese kanji, but it is simply not accurate to say that you cannot print Japanese characters in China using ISO 10646. At worst, you are printing them in a culturally non-preferred font style.

Considering the amazing stylistic varieties of kanji seen in Japanese advertising and pop culture, and the world-famous Japanese calligraphic tradition, I think you do your countrymen a disservice by claiming that they are incapable of reading kanji printed in a Chinese-style font.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA