Re: Examples of translated RFCs

2005-12-07 00:00:30
Doug Ewell wrote:

Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830 dot hpcl dot titech dot ac dot jp> wrote:

"at"? "dot"?

On the other hand, with ISO 10646, I can't print Japanese characters
in China.

since most computers sold all over the world now
come with at least one perfectly good Unicode-based font with
Chinese-style glyphs and another with Japanese-style glyphs.

Now, you admit that the problem does exist.

I can't print Japanese characters in China where Chinese-style
glyphs are used by default.

I can, of course, override the default by, for example, bringing
my own computer, my own software or my own configuration. But it
is not the point.

With both Chinese and Japanese glyphs are available, ISO 2022 works
perfectly fine with corresponding Chinese and Japanese character
sets. On the other hand, language tags are useless from the beginning
to distinguish characters. One can represent some content in Japanese
language by ASCII, Japanese characters or Chinese characters.

I think you do your countrymen a disservice by claiming that they are
incapable of reading kanji printed in a Chinese-style font.

Red herring.

Just as most native users of Latin alphabet can read Greek alphabet,
most Japanese can read Chinese glyphs, which is not the point at all.

You should admit that ISO 10646 useless for internationalization.

                                                Masataka Ohta