Re: "too many notes" -- a modest proposal

2006-01-25 21:08:10
Steve Silverman writes:

It seems to me that limiting users to 3 messages / day (perhaps with
a maximum number of bytes) would be a minimal impact on free speech
but would limit the damage done by overly productive transmitters.
This could be limited to users who are nominated to a "limit" list
by many users.

Bzzzt!  No, that ruins the whole idea.  It's just censorship by
another name.

If three messages is enough for responsible contributions by one
person, it's enough for responsible contributions from anyone.  If
it's not, then the limit must be higher.  But the limit has to be the
same for everyone.

As I've already said, this idea is too fair to work.  Nobody wants
fairness; most people want total freedom for themselves and severe
restrictions on everyone else--censorship, in other words.  A limit
that everyone would be forced to respect would be rejected by the very
same people who cry out for limits.