Re: An absolutely fantastic wireless IETF

2006-03-24 05:21:37
At the beginning of our Jabber "experiment" several years ago, I volunteered to Jabber-scribe exactly once, fell off the network five minutes into a working group meeting, spent ten minutes trying to get hooked back up, gave up, and never volunteered again until this IETF.

I never felt like that was the wrong decision (I always volunteered to scribe, just never on Jabber). At some meetings, the network was reliable enough to make me wonder, but all I did was wonder - not volunteer to Jabber-scribe, and if things didn't work on Monday morning of the following meeting, I stopped wondering.

I Jabber-scribed for several sessions here, and never had a problem.

Just to mention a minor point - having reliable wireless is critical for remote participants (yes, they can listen to the audio stream, but without someone at least monitoring Jabber for questions, all they can do is send e-mail to the list, where it will be read the next time local participants DO have working wireless.

Thank you, NOC team, especially on behalf of remote participants.

And, to mention the other point - at this meeting I was asked to Jabber-scribe by several chairs who had already found scribes before the meeting started - thank you guys (and gals) for being on the ball here, too!

Spencer

I agree. I never got around to buying an 802.11a NIC card, but
I never really felt like I needed it here.

The worst it got was that in some of the full rooms my Mac
would drop the link once or twice in an hour, and have to be manually reconnected to the network.

And, I noticed a singular lack of computer to computer ad hoc networks.

My profound thanks to everyone who worked on this.

Marshall