Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-24 20:45:57
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:34:09 -0700
Tim Bray <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com> wrote:

That's not quite sufficient, because most WGs aren't proceeding
according to good engineering discipline (e.g. they're doing things
in the wrong order, like trying to define the protocol before the
problem space is understood)

I'd generalize that.  I have never seen *any* standards org do a good
job of inventing new technology.

good point.  anytime a significant number of people participating in a WG are
lacking some important set of expertise or experience, there's going to be a
lot of time spent educating everyone and adopting a common language.  and in
IETF, because we try to engineer things for the Internet as a whole, it's
entirely normal for a significant plurality of WG participants to lack some
fundamental kind of expertise that is required to make the protocol work well
at Internet scale.  so we have our work cut out for us.

Keith