Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-28 06:50:17
Dave Cridland wrote:
It's sometimes difficult to find the drafts you could comment on as
they're produced, especially if you're not part of the WG, and it's
also tricky to find the background to some of the decisions.

It's fustrating, too, to have issues which are brought up continuously
in a WG by well-meaning outsiders, when the issues have been discussed
to death.

But equally, it's virtually impossible to keep an active interest in
more than a handful of WGs.

Often times what you describe as "discussed to death" are those very
issues where there really isn't community consensus, and so what happens
is that people check out of working groups, and sometimes make a stink
toward the end of the process.  That's when the IESG has a
responsibility to make a judgment call as to whether or not a WG has
made the right technical decision, rough consensus be damned.

Eliot