Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-26 08:33:16
On Mon Jun 26 15:51:24 2006, Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 25-jun-2006, at 6:18, Keith Moore wrote:
>
> > Trouble is, in our current process, there's rarely any formal request > > for feedback, and little external visibility of a WG's output, until
> > Last Call.
>
> But I see your point. When I first attended an IETF meeting I was
> surprised to see how inward looking wgs are. There is very little, if > any, effort to present what the working group is doing to people outside
> of the wg.

I guess that if people are interested in the WG then they will
participate, or at least read the drafts as they come up in the i-d
announcement list. You can't force volunteers to take an interest.

It's sometimes difficult to find the drafts you could comment on as they're produced, especially if you're not part of the WG, and it's also tricky to find the background to some of the decisions.

It's fustrating, too, to have issues which are brought up continuously in a WG by well-meaning outsiders, when the issues have been discussed to death.

But equally, it's virtually impossible to keep an active interest in more than a handful of WGs.

Perhaps requirements documents should be more like rationale documents:
"we chose to solve this problem in this way because of this"...

Perhaps one option would be if each WG maintained a problem-statement and rationale draft. This could reference the documents that provided the solutions to the problems found, and act as an overview to outsiders of the WG's previously discarded arguments, etc, as well as how they see the specifications used in practise.

This would act in part as Keith's "requirements document", and also act as a lure for external (to the WG, at least) reviewers.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org