Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-26 07:38:20
At 15:50 26/06/2006, Keith Moore wrote:
in IETF what we often do with those ideas is to protect them and encourage development of them in isolation by giving them a working group. we sometimes even write those groups' charters in such a way as to discourage clue donation or discussion of other ways of solving the problem

+1

The worst is when the bad idea get allocated that way a de facto exclusive control on a globally key IANA registry in an area where the IETF has neither expertise, nor interest. The IETF is then to assume this way, and due to the importance of the Internet, a leading worldwide responsibility (cf. RFC 3935) however it cannot assume its related (RFC 3935) duty of competence. Then its (RFC 3935) mission to "influence the way people design, use and manage" the Internet becomes a tool in the hands of the bad idea's supporters.

The worst of the worst, is when consensual protections against the bad-idea are delegated by consensus to the IESG, but the IESG violates them, and delegates them to the bad-idea's very afficionados.

jfc