Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-29 13:59:47
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 12:57:44PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
Bob Braden wrote:
In this whole discussion, I find it hard to keep separate the
technical issues, about which the IETF should care a lot, from
the business model and issues, about which the IETF should be
agnostic.  We may personally care a great deal about the business
issues, but we cannot speak as an organization about them.

well, mumble.  we shouldn't be biased toward any particular business
model.  but there's nothing wrong with being biased towards flexibility,
or being biased against the RIRs changing IETF decisions to favor a
particular business model.

again, the fundamental problem here is that the RIRs are trying to
second-guess IETF design decisions.

        "the" RIRs are membership organizations, with members
        consisting of the operational community.  they have to
        try and work with whatever the IETF gives them.. and when
        what the IETF provides is not operationaly feasable, they
        can and will make changes so that an operational network
        exists.

        now the IETF is a membership organization as well, so
        individuals can participate in both communities..  if
        you feel that an RIR policy is wrong, then the correct
        place to "fix" it is within the RIR community.  In ARIN's
        case, the public-policy mailing list is where you can post
        your concerns so that they will be heard by the operational
        community and you can persuade them that their operational
        practices are "second-guessing" IETF design decisions.

--
--bill