Re: Our deadlines are dizzyingly complex and confusing

2007-11-26 10:43:50
Spencer Dawkins wrote:
Laksminath's note is more detailed, but it's roughly what I was thinking
at about 2 PM EST today :-(

I'm sure there's an opportunity for us to pick a time zone for IETF 71
cutoffs!

you mean like UTC?

I'd note that all the reference times in this message were in the same
timezone just not at the same time. I submit that I really hate having
to convert the offset from my current timezone in someone else's
particularly when I can't remember when their daylight savings time
begins or ends. however the challenge really is that they're not all in
my calender rather than than that I need to calculate the offset because
software will happily do that for me.

Thanks,

Spencer

Hi,

I just found out that I missed the deadline for early-bird
registration and payment.  I registered early, but was planning to pay
just in time, but alas the deadline has passed.  I was thinking that
the deadline is later in the day, end of the business day Eastern time.

We have deadlines at 9:00 ET, 12:00 ET and 17:00 ET for draft
submission, WG session scheduling, payments and proceedings
submission. I was thinking that all payment deadlines are at 17:00 ET,
end of business day.  They are not!  The early-bird registration and
payment deadline is at 12:00 ET and the final pre-registration and
pre-payment deadline is 17:00 ET.  Perhaps there is a logic to this,
but it is not intuitive to me.

Could all deadlines be at the same time (on different days obviously)
to avoid such confusion in future?

thanks,
Lakshminath