Re: Our deadlines are dizzyingly complex and confusing

2007-11-27 04:47:14
Phillip,

Looks to me as if the cut off is start of business for the RFC Editor.
That makes sense to me, no matter how much you try to change the cut
off you can't make it any later than the point where the editor needs
to start work.

No, the RFC Editor does not edit drafts after the cutoff, they edit
drafts after they have been approved...

I would not mind seeing the -00 cutoff moving to the same as the
cuttoff for subsequent drafts. At this point we have the automated
submission tool and the rationale for the difference is removed somewhat.

The rationale for a different cutoffs for -00 and later revisions is
simply that completely new ideas require a lot of time to digest. You
can make modifications still for another week.

(That being said, I've recently run into a few cases where it is not
possible to submit a revised draft to fix an issue raised in IETF LC or
IESG review -- even if the draft in question would not even be discussed
in the upcoming meeting. Our deadline system is a rather crude scheme to
prevent everyone submitting their only updates on the Monday morning of
the IETF.)

Make the week earlier -00 cutoff apply to manual processing of -00 drafts.

I'd rather just keep both the same. You may have to revert to the manual
submission method if there's some kind of a problem in the tool, for
instance. And I'd rather move into the direction of less deadlines than
more...

Jari