Re: Call for Comment: RFC 4693 experiment

2008-01-21 07:06:10
   I get the feeling that most critics of IONs are missing the point:
that IONs are intended to be a bit more lightweight than RFCs -- but
not a lot -- and easier to index.

Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com <Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
wrote:

While there are a couple of IONs whose content I find valuable (such
as ad-sponsoring and discuss-criteria), IMHO the same information
could be placed in "ordinary" web pages without losing much -- and
perhaps gaining something in the process.

   Indeed, the same information could -- and probably should -- be
placed on ordinary web pages, in a somewhat simplified form, referring
to the appropriate ION as the reference source. And those web pages
should be _really_easy_ to update if anything within them proves to be
confusing to the actual readers. But the ION update process should be
reserved for cases where the substance is misleading.

   We _really_don't_ want the IESG to be forced to review all changes
to web pages.

... My "reading between the lines" interpretation of RFC 4693 Section
5 is that perhaps creating IONs was considered easier than...

   I see no need to read between the lines. RFC 4693 set out principles
for an appropriate process for maintaining notes on operational
procedures.

But looking forward, and considering the question "what should be done
about IONs", the answer is less clear. If IONs encourage people to
clearly document things that are useful to others, then they have some
value there.

   I agree.

... moving the same information to "ordinary" web pages would
probably mean creating some sort of structure...

   This is the path we should avoid. Web page maintenance stalls _very_
easily when there are too many folks worrying over the interpretation
of every word -- in different browsers, no less!

However, how to organize web pages is a topic where I think
micromanagement (from e.g. me) would not be very productive. If
useful information gets communicated in effective fashion, I'm OK
with letting the IESG to choose the tools they use for maintaining
things on the web, and don't really mind whether they get called
"IONs", "wikis", or just "web pages".

   Sounds like we agree a lot more than we disagree...

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>