Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-06 14:18:18
Ted:

Not oall of the IONs were "approved" for posting by the IESG.  There
is one from the IAOC, for example.  That was the point of "figure out
what to do."

Russ

At 04:01 PM 3/6/2008, Ted Hardie wrote:
At 12:42 PM -0800 3/6/08, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Ted,

Firstly, it's not for me to prejudge the IESG's conclusions
about IONs, but I would suggest that any ION issued by the
IESG implicitly carries the same status as any other IESG
statement, unless rescinded, so I don't quite share your concern.

I went and looked at RFC 4693 before I posted my first note.
It says:

   If the IESG decides that the feedback warrants terminating the
   series, the repository will be closed for new documents, and the
   existing ION documents will be returned to having the same status as
   any other Web page or file on the IETF servers -- this situation will
   closely resemble the situation before the experiment started.

The status this document had prior to being approved
as an ION was "Internet draft", which means it had
no formal status at all and was followed by the IESG
as a matter of lore.

However, the deeper question is whether the "discuss criteria"
*should* be promoted to BCP (which effectively binds future
IESGs as well as the current IESG). That is worth some
discussion. My experience on both sides of the fence is that
having the criteria spelled out has been extremely valuable
to authors, WGs, reviewers and the IESG itself. I'm a bit less
certain whether they should be made binding. Flexibility
leaves space for applying common sense.

There is no reason for a community-agreed document not to
have flexibility.  There are strong reasons to make this a community
agreed document.   Making it something that the community
can hold the IESG to, rather than something the IESG can modify
by issuing an updated ION, is a critical part of this.

                        Ted Hardie

   Brian