Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-06 14:37:15
Cullen,

Thank you for your statement that you are keen to make sure your
DISCUSSes are within the parameters of the discuss criteria ION.  I
appreciate it.  Perhaps I am naive or my understanding of the English
language is poor (they are both probably true), but could you explain
how one of your most recent DISCUSSes:

"Cullen Jennings:

Discuss [2008-03-05]:
There has been a lot of discussion about keying modes for
SRTP, so I'm glad to see a document that covers this topic
for MIKEY. For that reason, I think it's really important
to get this right. It looks to me like some of the issues
EKR raises need to be fixed in order to achieve that."

does not fit into the DISCUSS non-criteria?

"Unfiltered external party reviews. While an AD is welcome to consult
with external parties, the AD is expected to evaluate, to understand and
to concur with issues raised by external parties. Blindly
cut-and-pasting an external party review into a DISCUSS is inappropriate
if the AD is unable to defend or substantiate the issues raised in the
review."

You chose to not even cut-and-paste the comments.

I also wonder which of the DISCUSS criteria fit to advance that specific
document to an informational RFC.   Are we to guess which of the "the
issues EKR raises" the authors need to fix?

Needless to say, we don't need to debate the specifics of that document
here, but whereas your intent is honorable, the externally observable
behavior is unfortunately different.  Sorry for picking on you; I can
probably find other similar examples on other ADs, but I was thinking
that the ION is not a BCP and so I have no basis to raise the issue.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the ION or perhaps as Brian says that
there should be some flexibility in the application of the rules.

regards,
Lakshminath