Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-06 15:22:21
Sam,

I fail to understand why this has to be a guessing game.  I also don't
understand the argument about resolving DISCUSSes sequentially (in
reference to your point about Cullen holding his DISCUSS beyond
resolution of Russ's).

I have seen better examples where for instance your DISCUSS quotes what
you think needs to be resolved from the external review.  Likewise, Russ
states what needs to be resolved from the external review.  Recently Tim
put a DISCUSS on another document based on my comments stating what his
specific concerns are.  In all those cases, it is at least somewhat
clear as to what the AD might want.

In closing, perhaps some of us would like to be behind a DISCUSS that
states "resolve some of the issues of a 3rd party."  I for one find it
very hard to work in that kind of an environment.

 From my view point, here is how the process looks: First we have to beg
to know what the issues are,  then propose text, only to have it
dismissed after some time, propose text again, repeat that for a
non-deterministic number of times and eventually hope that the AD is
satisfied; repeat that for the next AD, and so on.

That is seriously broken!!  All I am asking for though is to just remove
the first step for starters.  We shouldn't have to ask to know what the
DISCUSS is about.

best regards,
Lakshminath