RE: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action

2008-03-24 09:13:02
The closest I could find was:

"Working groups SHOULD ensure that their associated mailing list is
 manageable.  For example, some may try to circumvent the revocation
 of their posting rights by changing email addresses; accordingly it
 should be possible to restrict the new email address."

from page 5 of RFC 3683.  Misrepresented identities may fall under the
same banner as changing email addresses for the purposes of RFC 3683.

- Wes Beebee

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Russ Housley
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 11:36 AM
To: Christian Huitema
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action

I cannot find one.  It seem to be a hole than needs filled.

Russ

At 11:45 AM 3/23/2008, Christian Huitema wrote:
Does the IETF have a policy regarding misrepresented identities?

In the particular incident, it is assumed that the person using the
name of a famous French aviation pioneer is in fact someone else. On
the one hand, using pseudonyms is a form of free speech. But on the
other hand, in a standard setting body, hiding identities is not
necessarily something we want to encourage. What are the implications
for our standard process? What about copyrights and patents?

-- Christian Huitema