Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-05 04:30:40
Dear Iljitsch;

On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 5 aug 2008, at 0:10, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

From the perspective of the panopticon that the centrally managed wireless controller model offers, some wireless users experienced fairly chronic issues, most did not. I'd love to offer the users in the minority a magic bullet but I don't have one. I suspect that if they have anything with an intel 2100 or with a prism 2 wireless chipset it's probably time to upgrade preferably with a fresh os as well...

I was on the 5 GHz network almost exclusively, mostly by choice (by putting the ietf-a network in the list above the ietf network) but even if I did use the 2.4+5 GHz network my computer was smart enough to use 5 GHz most of the time. It worked just great, very good connectivity even during the plenaries.

My 802.11b/g iPhone wasn't so happy on 2.4 GHz during the plenary, though...

So good job having 5 GHz stuff in the first place and also as a separate SSID so those of us who are able to, can choose this manually and let the others duke it out in the overpopulated 2.4 GHz band.

I wasn't not overly impressed with the room network though, not only the performance on some days but also that the network was dead on friday evening and saturday morning. Thanks to Eircom for their free wifi access point, but it really wasn't upto the task even with the small contingent of IETFers still around on saturday morning.

That was an accident, not according to any plan, and was not due to our volunteer team.

Having said that, if we enhance the hotel network during the IETF, an end-to-end test after we remove any enhancement should be part of the future checklist. (In other words, in the future we should verify connectivity in the hotel rooms after the original hotel network is restored.)

Regards
Marshall