RE: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-05 04:29:28

-----Original Message-----
From: David Kessens [mailto:david(_dot_)kessens(_at_)nsn(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:18 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Cc: Joel Jaeggli; Henning Schulzrinne; IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

Dan,

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:43:10PM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

From Joel Jaeggli

[ ... ]

have one. I suspect that if they have anything with an
intel 2100 or
with a prism 2 wireless chipset it's probably time to upgrade
preferably with a fresh os as well...

Many people do not have the liberty of upgrading machines or OSs at
ease.

But is that a problem for you or for the network team ?

There is a point where certain legacy hardware is just not
going to cut it anymore and I don't believe that that is the
fault of the network team.

Basically, whether you like it or not, this is a problem
between you and your IT department (and yes, I do understand
that that is not necessary an issue that you would like to deal with).

David Kessens
---

I respectfully disagree. I would claim that the problem is one of the
network team, as long as the hardware is standards compliant and not
something exotic. An IBM ThinkPad acquired three years ago running
Windows XP is still one of the most popular machines, it is carried by
many people and will continue to be carried for another two-three years.
As it is fully IEEE standards compliant and some kind of industry
standard (whatever this means) many people expect to be able to use it
at an IETF standards meeting. Telling people that they have 'a problem
between you and your IT department' does not help at all, as most of the
people have no influence on their company's buying or IT policies.
Actually telling this means that we tell them 'you need to buy another
machine in order to efficiently attend an IETF meeting'.

Dan

(speaking as an individual)