Re: Advice on publishing open standards

2008-11-28 14:20:51

--On Friday, 28 November, 2008 11:02 -0800 Randy Presuhn
<randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi -

From: <slevin(_at_)signpuddle(_dot_)net>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 10:50 AM
Subject: Advice on publishing open standards
For the past 5 years, I've been processing written sign
language as data. I've worked directly with the inventor of
the script, which is over 30 years old.

We are ready to standardize.  The latest symbol was finalized
last month after more than a year of improvements and
refining.
I believe sumbitting to the IETF will be the best route.  I
was wondering if anyone had some advice before I begin the
formal preparation of the Internet Drafts.

Have you considered taking this to Unicode?

Or, if that is inappropriate for some reason, as a new work item
proposal to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2?

You would face two problems with the IETF.  One is that we
rarely take on work for which we cannot add value and do
effective reviews.  The other is that we generally don't do work
that is not Internet-specific, and your audience would seem much
broader that the Internet alone.   Terms like "rarely" and
"generally" imply that you could perhaps convince people that
this should be an exception, but I believe it would be an uphill
battle.

   john