Re: Advice on publishing open standards

2008-11-28 15:58:51
The work applies to all sign languages.  SignWriting has been used or
investigated in over 40 countries.  We have many active dictionary
projects with several thousand signs in each.

-Steve

Steve,

Can you clarify whether this work applies to one particular sign
language or to many? I am completely "illiterate" in these languages,
but I understand that there are many of them.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2008-11-29 08:28, slevin(_at_)signpuddle(_dot_)net wrote:
Hi -

There are several issues with Unicode.

First, Unicode is written in stone.  Our latest symbol set may be our
last, but maybe not.  In 2 or 3 years, we may update our symbol set.
This
would cause problems because Unicode is not allowed to change.

Second, Unicode is used with sequential scripts: one character after
another. Our script is spatial: the words are characters written in
space
based on coordinates.  The words are sequential, but not the characters.
Even if we were part of the Unicode standard, I do not believe existing
applications could properly edit or display the words.

Unicode has reserved 512 code points for our script, but Unicode is best
left to the future.

Right now, we believe the best way forward is to create open standards
with our own character encoding model.  This CEM will server as an
excellent reference when/if we become part of the Unicode standard.

Regards,
-Steve

Hi -