Re: Advice on publishing open standards

2008-11-28 15:37:35
<slevin at signpuddle dot net> wrote:

First, Unicode is written in stone.

A gross overgeneralization. Unicode characters are not allowed to be moved or renamed once they have been encoded. New characters can always be added, though.

Our latest symbol set may be our last, but maybe not. In 2 or 3 years, we may update our symbol set. This would cause problems because Unicode is not allowed to change.

How good an idea is it to attempt to standardize a character encoding in which it is expected that characters might still move around?

Unicode has reserved 512 code points for our script, but Unicode is best left to the future.

There is a block of 1024 code points *tentatively roadmapped* to "Sutton SignWriting." That is very, very different from saying that "Unicode has reserved N code points for our script."

http://www.ewellic.org