RE: Advice on publishing open standards

2008-11-28 16:50:06

For the past 5 years, I've been processing written sign
language as data.
I've worked directly with the inventor of the script, which
is over 30 years old.

We are ready to standardize.  The latest symbol was finalized
last month after more than a year of improvements and refining.

I believe I'll need to write 2 Internet Drafts followed by 2 RFCs.

First, you have to give up control of the standard. This means that, for
instance, the Makaton people and BLISS Symbolics people may very well
make changes to the standard to accomodate their signing symbols.

You really should have a look at the Tao of IETF
<http://www.ietf.org/tao.html> before you publish an Internet draft. I'm
not sure that this is the kind of thing that needs to be standardised
via the IETF since it is not primarily about network protocols.
Signwriting is more to do with encoding of graphical information and
seems more closely related to w3.org's work with SVG and SVG fonts, not
to mention the Unicode consortium.

Also, I would suggest that you abandon the ASCII stuff since it seems to
be just a roundabout way of defining standard bitmapped representations.

--Michael Dillon

--Michael Dillon