Re: Advice on publishing open standards

2008-11-28 21:19:05

--On Friday, November 28, 2008 4:20 PM -0500 slevin(_at_)signpuddle(_dot_)net wrote:

You would face two problems with the IETF.  One is that we
rarely take on work for which we cannot add value and do
effective reviews.  The other is that we generally don't do
work that is not Internet-specific, and your audience would
seem much broader that the Internet alone.   Terms like
"rarely" and "generally" imply that you could perhaps
convince people that this should be an exception, but I
believe it would be an uphill battle.

   john

I would like the coded character set to be an official
character set of the internet because I plan on writing an
extension for Firefox and Thunderbird, where
charset="x-iswa-2008".

Modulo Tony Hanson's note and some others, getting a registration for "iswa-2008" doesn't require an IETF Standard, merely a published and stable specification and general recognition of its global utility and non-proprietary nature.

Whatever an "official character set of the Internet" means, I think there will be some difficulty inventing any more of those unless you can somehow demonstrate that Unicode is insufficient. I'd assume that would require approaching either the Unicode Consortium or ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 and having them turn you down or demonstrating that there is something about your system that is fundamentally incompatible with Unicode's design principles and still useful/important.

I'll look again, but I was most impressed with the IETF.
Maybe I should self publish as an open standard technical
report.

Unless you are willing to abandon change control --whether to the IETF or to some other body that insists on taking it over as a condition of standardization -- that might be your best route.

  john