Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-24 22:19:34

--On Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:07 PM -0700 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm also not very happy with the tone. What's this "confirm or
deny" stuff that you and JCK are using? Could you please
confirm or deny that the members of the IAOC are also IETF
participants, travel at least as much as you do, and generally
have similar sets of concerns? Could you, perhaps, confirm or
deny that we're all in this boat together and nobody is out to
make things difficult for anyone else?

Fred,

The IAOC is not in the habit of publishing timely minutes. Even when minutes are published, they seem more likely to say "we decided to meet at X" than "we considered the following options ..., with the following advantages and disadvantages, including estimating net IETF operational costs (Secretariat and staff travel and accommodations, meeting rooms. cookies, network, etc.) at A for X, B for Y, and C for Z, and estimating modal costs per attendee at D for X, E for Y, F for Z.

I hope those analyses are being done even if they are not the only analyses or only controlling factors. I have never seen them nor, as far as I know, has any other IETF participant who is not on the IAOC. I think we ought to be seeing the numbers. If there are reasons for not exposing the numbers, I think we are at least entitled to ask questions about whether the analyses were actually done or whether other factors so dominated one or another of those considerations that the analyses were not worth the trouble.

Independent of choices or words and the tone you perceive, in the absence of minutes that expose the decision-making process or availability to the community of the actual evaluations (numerical estimates and all), I think people are entitled to ask "were these analyses even done and what conclusions did you rely on?". If the IAOC were being as open, transparent, and timely about reporting information as many of us anticipated when BCP 101 was adopted, no one would be asking such questions because they would effectively have already been answered.

   john