Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-24 16:57:48
On 24 mei 2009, at 21:54, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

It's rarely just a matter of "the hosts chosen location," but what is
available at a given time and what is suitable for an IETF meeting

How did we end up with march, late july, november anyway?

Seems to me that if we can do each meeting a month earlier we'd get two benefits: the summer meeting no longer coincides with European vacations, so it's possible to have them in Europe without having to compete with vacationers = better availability and rates, and better weather for the summer and fall meetings. In june it's nice in northern Europe and better than july in more southern locales. In october it's still good weather in places where it gets cold in the winter. Of course a februari meeting would be in the middle of winter but that's only one meeting a year where we'd have to be in the southern half of the contintent if in North America or Europe.

Also, all of this would be much better if rather than getting a final decision out of the blue, we'd get to choose between at least two places, where the meeting fee is adjusted so that the choices are financially neutral to the IETF. For instance, for me Vancouver and Quebec City take the same time to travel to, but if Quebec is a good deal cheaper that could make a difference.