Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-26 12:12:00
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Coming from Tokyo to Minneapolis isn't exactly a single hop either if
you want to consider another case.

Actually, it is a single hop. There is daily non-stop service from Tokyo to MSP:

http://www.orbitz.com/flight-info/NW/NW-MSP-NRT.html

And there are quite a few non-stop flights to MSP from Europe as well,
including Paris, Amsterdam, and Heathrow, plus Mumbai and
Singapore....and this is just the Northwest (Delta) non-stops. So
while personally I love visiting the Netherlands and think Maastricht
will be a very fun trip indeed, it will be quite difficult to get to,
and arguing this is somehow even remotely similar to Minneapolis in
terms of air service is pretty far off the mark. Minneapolis is not
Chicago or London, and lack of competition might make it a bit pricier
than some other airports, but it has a very well served international
airport.

David

Plug: See hiroshima-info.info for general travel information for IETF
76.

I also assume that you have attempted to launch a "sponsor IETF meetings"
program on a "contribute to a fund" basis, as distinct from "host this
particular meeting", and either gotten no useful response or discovered that
host in-kind contributions in specific locations dominate possible cash
contributions.  Can you confirm that as well?

I think Ray and Drew can answer this better, but let's just say that
the "money pool" idea is very difficult to sell to most sponsors.

Finally, I assume that the IAOC has done an analysis, not only of what it
would cost us to abandon hosted meetings entirely, but of what it would cost
--both in absolute and meeting-fee terms-- to say "no" to hosts who insisted
on out of the way locations.  May we see that analysis not later than the
plenary in Stockholm?

I don't think we've ever had hosts who have "insisted on out of the
way locations," but I agree that such an analysis would be good to
present.

Ole

    john