Re: Last Call: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis (IESG Procedures for Handling of Independent and IRTF Stream Submissions) to BCP

2009-08-27 11:57:24

RFC4846 section 5 uses the word "recommend"
  If the IESG, after completing its review, identifies issues, it may
  recommend explanatory or qualifying text for the RFC Editor to
  include in the document if it is published.

Olaf, I believe this means in the contents of the document. I am under
the understanding the the IESG Note in RFC is provided by the IESG not
by the RFC Editor. Is there a document that says otherwise? (I'm
certainly open to the possibility that perhaps these documents should
not have an IESG note but that seems a different issue)

My understanding of this text is that the IESG can recommend text, including an IESG Note. The RFC Editor can accept it or not. The RFC Editor has a lot of discretion here. To date, the RFC Editor has never rejected an IESG Note.

Russ