Re: Last Call: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis (IESG Procedures forHandling of Independent and IRTF Stream Submissions) to BCP

2009-08-28 11:11:30

Adrian Farrel wrote:
      But I would like for this to be a debate/negotiation. If
the RFC Editor (for whatever good reason) wishes to leave the note out and the IESG wishes (for some other equally good reason) to leave the note in, we need to be able to resolve the conflict.

Options clearly are:
- RFC Editor has the power
- IESG has the power
- A third party (RSE?) has the power
- IESG and RFC Editor are required to reach consensus

We do need the community to make this decision.

The fact that the RFC Editor has not yet completely denied an IESG desire to have a note affixed to a draft is significant. And it's expensive to define another layer of mechanism, like appeal to a third party. And independence of the RFC Editor seems to generally be a Good Thing.

If the RFC Editor were to refuse adding a note, what is the likelihood that this would be due to making a horribly wrong decision? And what is likely to be the real damage from it?

There is plenty of subjective indication that RFC readers are not nearly as careful as any of us would like. Adding IESG Notes is an appropriate matter of due diligence, but in the extraordinarily rare -- ie, unlikely -- case of a refusal to add, do we really need a special mechanism? Is the likely damage that great?

The RFC Editor already has significant accountability. If it made a refusal that was inappropriate, there would probably be a deeper problem to deal with.

So I 'vote' for a simple choice:  The RFC Editor has the power.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking