Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-09 07:18:35
"Olaf" == Olaf Kolkman <olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl> writes:

    Olaf> On Sep 8, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

Tim, I definitely agree with you that it should be the IETF community
    >> that is last called.  Normally, the IESG judges IETF consensus.
    >> However, if it makes the IAB more comfortable for the IAB chair
    >> to do the consensus call, that's fine with me.  If we do that
    >> we'd need to make it clear how this interacts with the IETF
    >> appeals process.

    Olaf> Sam,

    Olaf> the underlying point of my question is that the streams are
    Olaf> independent and that the IETF (stream) has no say about the
    Olaf> other streams. IETF consensus or not.

Right; I think I made it fairly clear in my reply to John Klensin that
I disagreed fairly strongly with that and argued why I believed that
the IETF needs a special role to attach a note to something.  No
discussion prior or since has changed my mind.