Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-09 13:34:59

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:19:05AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:
First, you lack empirical data to substantiate your assessment of the
perception.

Well, Wikipedia
The fourth link from Google in response to, "What is an RFC?" says
So even if those pages go on to refine their statements, I don't think
it preposterous to suggest that people think "the RFC series" is "from
the IETF".

Andrew (and Stephen),

Thank you for exploring the question of empirical data, as well as demonstrating how methodologically challenged discussion in the IETF tends to be, particularly with respect to anything involving or implying statistics...

The original comment was about universality of perception. Particular examples were cited at the beginning of Stephen's note, but they morphed into a statement of universality by the end of it.

Your own note cited the first and fourth google listings but left out, for example, the second and third. Based on that latter set, I could claim that "THE" perception is that the RFC series is "the working notes of the Internet research and development community" and "a formal mechanism used to describe communications standards for the Internet and systems (like USENET) that are closely tied to it."

That's quite a different characterization of the RFC series and besides being more accurate, it has the same empirical basis being put forth as "the" perception" of the series as what you are citing.

But, of course, this is all about the first of two challenges I offered and empirical data for the latter is what justifies considering a change.

Stephen just posted the view that we should be "proactive", but does not seem to understand that we missed that opportunity 20 years ago. Whatever "problem" we need to anticipate has failed to materialize for two decades.

But the real crux of this debate is represented by the difference between my second challenge and Stephen's alternative challenge: "If there were indeed no value beyond traditions, why run any risk, no matter how small?"

First, it means that we need to be clearer about the intended benefit behind having the Independent stream. (For any activity, it's always a good idea to have an explicit and visible value proposition...)

Second, it misses the practical implication of making changes due to imagined risks, particularly since there is always an infinite set of them to choose from.

Third, it ignores the operations rule that all change is, itself, risk, and that therefore no change is justified unless there is a solid basis for expecting very, very substantial benefits. (For any activity, it's always a good idea to have an explicit and visible value proposition...)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking