Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-09 12:37:12
On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:19:05AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:
First, you lack empirical data to substantiate your assessment of the
perception.

Well, Wikipedia (which IMO is primarily useful as a repository for
finding out what "everyone knows") has this first sentence in its
description of the RFC series:

In computer network engineering, a Request for Comments (RFC) is a
memorandum published by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to
the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems.

The fourth link from Google in response to, "What is an RFC?" says

RFC is an acronym for Request for Comments and official documents from
the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) with an unlimited
distribution.  RFC's are numbered in a series and are referred to by
numbers.

So even if those pages go on to refine their statements, I don't think
it preposterous to suggest that people think "the RFC series" is "from
the IETF".

I am totally unwilling to have an opinion on whether anyone ought to
try to do anything about this, but I don't think we should pretend
that the world is otherwise than it is.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.