Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-09 12:52:50
Hi Dave,

I agree with your second observation.  It may well be that the current RFC
editor model has not *yet* caused a pragmatic problem.

I stand to my first assessment, as originally formulated.

The main issue is: should the IETF be pro-active on these matters, or not.
For the IETF as an organization, I see no value beyond traditions in staying
with the RFC publication model.  (The marketing value of using the RFC
series is IMHO contradicted by the lack of control of the IETF over the RFC
series).  If there were indeed no value beyond traditions, why run any risk,
no matter how small?  Certainly there must be some risk in giving the RFC
editor, rather than the duly appointed IETF officials, the last say in
publishing documents that are perceived as IETF documents.

I could follow an argument that changing the publication mechanism is large
enough a pain to best avoid it, for the small pragmatic gains we may get.

Regards,
Stephan