Re: IPv6 standard?

2009-09-23 05:06:40
Steve et al.

thank you for your interesting comments. Being some kind of IPv6 "evangelist", I'll admit it, I do need to gain a feeling of points of view from people who are in the know, and the range of replies in this short thread has been interesting indeed.

"Steve Crocker" <steve(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com> wrote:

The main point I wanted to make is that bringing IPv6 into full use and advancing the associated specifications along the standards track did not, at least for me, imply deprecating IPv4 standards. In practice, the two technologies are going to co-exist for quite a while.

The matter came up in an IPv6 discussion ISOC Chapters teleconference call last night. We reached a burning question which nobody could answer factually:

Is a dual stack IPv4-IPv6 likely to be more unstable than pure IPv4 or pure IPv6?

The rationale behind this comes from the consumer's point of view. If a consumer has problems using Internet services after turning on IPv6 on their computer, they are likely to blame IPv6 for the fault and to turn off IPv6 altogether, thus slowing down adoption. I've heard countless anecdotal stories of that happening, and I wonder whether anybody could point me to a source of information, some kind of repository of anectodal or researched evidence of problems encountered when turning to dual stack IPv4/IPv6.

With such problems being encountered with dual stack, would it make sense to deprecating IPv4 standards ASAP in order to shorten the time for use of dual stack and this shorten the likelyhood of consumers being turned off IPv6? Or on the other hand, do you think that the dual stack problems are only small quirks which will be ironed out in time and a stable dual stack IPv4/IPv6 system will soon be possible across all devices?

Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD