Re: IPv6 standard?

2009-09-23 09:52:16

In message
<3f4922c70909230624p6653f9dckbac05e0465ea983f(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>,
IETF M
ember Dave Aronson writes:
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl(_at_)gih(_dot_)com> wrote:

Is a dual stack IPv4-IPv6 likely to be more unstable than pure IPv4 or pure
IPv6?

Just from a pure software-engineering standpoint, with no reference to
the stability of current stacks nor the exact tasks at hand, it seems
quite likely.  More code, doing more stuff, generally means more
things that can go wrong.

-Dave

It also depends on how you turn it on.   If you only have local
IPv6 connectivity it is more problematic than if you have global
IPv6 connectivity.

Dual stack also tends to discovers all the applications which really
don't support connecting to multi-homed machines correctly.  This is
more true when you only have local connectivity.

That being said I've run dual stack for the last 5 years without
much in the way of problems.  My IPv6 connectivity is a tunnel
across the Pacific and when the tunnel goes down about the only
thing I notice is slower connections which would probably go if I
was to run a routing protocol over the tunnel.

Mark

--
Dave Aronson, software engineer or trainer for hire.
Looking for job (or contract) in Washington DC area.