RE: IPv4 addresses eaten by... what? (was: IPv6 standard)

2009-09-28 15:31:47
Exactly how far into the future???

Secure Inter-Domain Routing (sidr)
Last Modified: 2009-04-02
Goals and Milestones:
Aug 2007    Evaluate progress, recharter with new goals or shutdown

Seems that progress is glacial even by the WG's own plans, while the burn
rate on IPv4 remains on its accelerated rate. The WG should really be shut
down, because by the time work completes, products are built & shipped,
deployments happen, and inter-provider agreements worked out, we will be
long passed the end of the IPv4 free pool. What is the point of developing a
lock once the horse has left the barn?

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Danny McPherson
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 11:48 AM
To: IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: IPv4 addresses eaten by... what? (was: IPv6 standard)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Tony Hain wrote:

Look at http://www.nro.net/ for the current process. Look at
http://www.ebay.com/ for the process once the IANA & RIR pools are
allocated. There are misguided fantasy discussions about controlling
the
market in the RIR context, but given that their charters explicitly
say that
they make no statement about the utility or routing of any
allocation, they
have absolutely no leverage on whatever transactions a market might
produce.

Since we're in the process of providing references, look at
how the work in the SIDR WG might be leveraged to invalidate
this statement in the future.

-danny