IPv4 addresses eaten by... what? (was: IPv6 standard)

2009-09-28 08:40:05
There is another question, which isn't nearly as thoroughly discussed.

Clearly, IPv4 processes are allocated as part of a number of different processes. Chain X opens the 16001st outlet and wants that to have exactly the same computer/network setup there as in other 16000. Telco Y adds another UMTS customer and needs another IP address for that. And so on, and so forth.

Once there aren't any more IPv4 addresses (on terms acceptable to the people involved) these processes have to change in some way. I'm not interested in _how_ they have to change. My question now is instead: What are the processes that are responsible for most allocation at the moment? Has anyone surveyed that?

Arnt