Re: [IAOC] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-28 13:53:36

Ole,

Just want to make sure I understand this response fully.

On Sep 24, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

There is absolutely NO intention or requirement to have any approval
process for agendas or materials by a third party for this (proposed)
meeting.

The question about approval was generated based on this part of the contract
that Marshall originally quoted:

Does your above response mean that the host would not consider
slides and oral presentations made during working group sessions to
be part of "the Group's activities, visual or audio presentations at
the conference"? Or does your response mean that the host is going
to take the risk of having the event terminated for reasons having
to do with slide or presentation content that was not pre-approved
by the government? Or does it mean that you do not think that the
content of working group sessions falls under the category of
"topics regarding human rights"?

Thanks much.
Alissa

If I have to choose only one of your questions it would be the final
one: I do not think that our normal way of conducting business would
run afoul of these rules. If you were planning to include blatant
politicial propaganda in your presentation, then getting prior
approval would be a good idea, but I cannot foresee a topic within
the scope of what the IETF does to require you to use such material.
The assumption is that the material is just "normal IETF documents,
presentations etc" and thus no approval is required.

Does our technology border or real-world uses, including "human
rights"? I hope so, but that's a far cry from the type of action
that these rules prohibit. Do I expect careful monitoring and various
colored lights to light up tracking the conversations? No.

The IAOC will be making more detailed statements in the near future.
In the meantime, the survey is still open.

Ole