Re: request for feedback: change to the ID boilerplate

2009-10-28 06:00:23
Hi Lars,
At 02:28 27-10-2009, Lars Eggert wrote:
The second URL points to a list of FTP mirrors, fully half of which
are defunct in some way (don't respond, DNS name doesn't resolve,
contains stale content, etc.) Again, nobody has been noticing this.

The second URL is a redirection to the old IETF web site. I don't think that it is best to point to the datatracker. It would be better to use a location under www.ietf.org as the point of entry. There are some participants in the HTTPbis WG or the Tools team that would be able to explain the long-term solution better than me as they have the knowledge when it comes to URI persistence [1]. The work may also benefit other IETF-related web sites.

  "At the end of the 20th century when this was written, "cool" was an
   epithet of approval particularly among young, indicating trendiness,
   quality, or appropriateness. In the rush to stake our DNS territory
   involved the choice of domain name and URI path were sometimes
   directed more toward apparent "coolness" than toward usefulness or
   longevity. This note is an attempt to redirect the energy behind
   the quest for coolness." [2]

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Persistence.html