Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-25 02:57:08
Hi Jordi,

On 2010-06-25 13:29, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I'm a bit late into this debate. I just want to point that some time ago, we
worked in the idea of the OS to be able to detect the best path, when IPv6
and one or several transition mechanisms are available.

Here is the last version of the document:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-02

At that time, v6ops considered that it was not an interesting work ... So me
be is time to revive it ?

One thing that's changed since then is that we have running code and both
practical and simulated experience with the shim6 reachability protocol
(REAP), which although defined for v6 only does cause very similar issues
and concerns. I think we can say that the performance and DOS-like effects
really aren't a practical problem (especially if we use Mark Andrews'
idea of trying v6 for a couple of seconds before trying v4 in parallel).
In fact, shim6 default behaviour is to space the probes out by 0.5 seconds,
very similar to Mark's proposal.

For some large scale simulation results, please see this ICCNT 2010 conference
paper:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/iccnt2010_reap.pdf

Among other things, this shows that the performance gain by sending the
initial probes simultaneously instead of spaced out is quite small.

   Brian