Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-25 12:46:45
Code will be used for decades which is why IPv4 will always be with us.

The IPv4-6 transition will inevitably take place in middleboxes. Most actual
networks will use IPv4 internally and IPv6 will be an Inter-Network
protocol.

Trying to code for the end state before the middlebox spec is known is
futile. The end point device is going to have to work with the middlebox to
work out the best choice of route. I can't see the point of piddling about
with heuristic protocols when we can write a middlebox spec that tells the
endpoint what to do straight off the bat.

Part of the problem here is that we have an IPv6 transition strategy that
does not mesh with the DNS.

Another part of the problem is that people are trying to fit everything into
the mould of end-to-end as if it was some sacred cow. E2E was a better way
to design a system from scratch compared to the telephone system. Now that
we have legacy systems in place we have billions of end points and similar
problems of rigidity as the telco network had.

At the moment the assumption is that the DNS is not intelligent. But that
does not have to be the case. If we make the service discovery mechanism
consistent across protocols there is more scope for the DNS to do the right
thing.