Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-08 15:53:51
On Thu July 8 2010 15:24, Fred Baker wrote:
On Jul 8, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
Boy, would they dispute that. ITU has claimed that the IETF is not an
open organization because a government cannot join it. Most membership
organizations, RIPE, being an example, have a definition of how someone
can become a member (members of RIPE are companies and pay a fee), and
are considered open to that class of membership.

But the IETF isn't a membership organization - isn't that
at least in part what's meant by "open," and why at least in
part we don't have voting (in theory)?

We don't have voting because we don't have members, yes. Definitions of
"open" vary, and boil down to a statement of what kind of actor an
organization is open to. IETF is open to individuals.

Appears to me this conversation/thread is leaning toward "open" being
used synonymous to "anonymous"....

--
Larry Smith
lesmith(_at_)ecsis(_dot_)net