Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-09 01:26:52
my experience suggests that IETF WG mailing lists and participation lists in meetings will be used as evidence in litigation related to whether an individual or the organization which sponsored that individidual met the obligation of the relevant IETF patent policy now http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3979.txt

my concept of an SDO that is not "open" is one that limits membership and disallows membership for some party with a potential material interest to benefit the interests of the existing members.

What is the specific reference that ITU has made w/r to IETF not being open? I would like to see it.

Best Regards,

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President, GTW Associates
1012 Parrs Ridge Drive
Spencerville, MD 20868 USA
1.301.421.4138
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Baker" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: "Melinda Shore" <shore(_at_)arsc(_dot_)edu>
Cc: "Sam Hartman" <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>; "Paul Hoffman" <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>; "IETF-Discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: IETF privacy policy - update

On Jul 8, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
Boy, would they dispute that. ITU has claimed that the IETF is not an open organization because a government cannot join it. Most membership organizations, RIPE, being an example, have a definition of how someone can become a member (members of RIPE are companies and pay a fee), and are considered open to that class of membership.

But the IETF isn't a membership organization - isn't that
at least in part what's meant by "open," and why at least in
part we don't have voting (in theory)?

We don't have voting because we don't have members, yes. Definitions of "open" vary, and boil down to a statement of what kind of actor an organization is open to. IETF is open to individuals.