Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-07 15:40:54
"Ole" == Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

    Ole> Sam,

    Ole> I view this more or less as "standard boilerplate", something
    Ole> you find in a lot of "online places". I think it is reasonable
    Ole> to expect that if you register for a meeting your personal info
    Ole> (e-mail address mostly) won't be sold/used/harvested by someone
    Ole> for purposes other than what you think you signed up for. It's
    Ole> probably useful for us to have such a statement.

I agree with the above.  however, the above doesn't sound like a
compelling justification to develop or review such a statement--just a
reason why we wouldn't mind having one.

For the development cost,  I don't care if people who want such a
statement go off and build one.

however, at least the IAOC has to review it.  I don't think that the
above justification is sufficient to place the review very high on the
priority list, nor do I think that in this instance the fact that
someone goes and spends time developing it should raise the review
priority. If the IAOC believes it needs to suck the rest of us into a
review, I think that pushes the priority even lower.

Now, there are things that in my mind would push the priority up:

* The IAOC isn't sure whether to use information in some way

* The community and IAOC disagree about how information is being used

* Something else