Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-08 04:21:34
(Wearing no hats)

On 08/07/2010 10:59, Yoav Nir wrote:

On July 08, 2010 12:42 AM joel jaeggli wrote:
the fact that you signed up for the meeting is publicly available so that
we don't sell mailing lists to spammers seems sort of irrelevant.

The attendee list does not contain email adresses, making it a lot less
useful for spammers than a list of working email addresses.

This is the way things are *now*. Discussion of a privacy statement may lead
to changes, such as keeping the attendee list confidential, and destroying it
on the Monday following the meeting.

I'm not sure what problem we are trying to solve but I don't think that it will
solve it anyway.   The documents related to the meeting (ID's, minutes,
WG pages, WG mail archives) are full with names and, in most cases, detailed
contact information such as email, phone and postal address.  Nobody seems
to have a problem with that, removing those details from the documents is
a lot of work and will make the resulting docs useless.

I personally don't care if the whole world knows I've been to an IETF
meeting,

I think this should be the basic assumption.  The IETF is a public event,
you will have to walk around with a name badge and your name will be in
the meeting materials.  There is an easy solution if you don't like
this.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746