RE: [78attendees] WARNING !!! Re: Maastricht to Brussels-Nat-Aero, Sat 07:09

2010-08-29 23:14:23
At 10:06 AM +0700 8/30/10, Glen Zorn wrote:

  > Are there any smoke-free restaurants near the site, or even anywhere
 in Beijing?

 Don't worry: the Disneyfication of the planet continues apace & the Chinese,
 being good capitalists, have also discovered the profit advantages in
 controlling human behavior as opposed to actual air quality.  I'm sure that
 you will be able to find many places to soak up your preferred mixture of
 toxic pollutants without any offensive additions.

Of course different people see things differently, but I find it hard to see how you can compare not being forced against one's will to smoke to Disney's bland entertainment. Personally, I have no interest in controlling anyone's behavior, *except* that I prefer that someone else's choice not drag me into it. If you want to drink, shoot heroin, skydive, whatever, I don't care at all unless you try to force me to do the same. When someone smokes in public, every else is forced to smoke as well. If you want to inject nicotine during an IETF session or at dinner, I could not care less. Just don't force me to as well. As U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

I really cannot figure out what what you are saying about the Chinese. I am not aware of them controlling smoking in public, so I assume you're talking about something else, but what? Can you please clarify?

--
Randall Gellens