Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-07 15:47:56
At 05:45 PM 9/3/2010, Hascall Sharp wrote:

On 8/30/10 3:57 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
...snip...

Am I missing something?
...snip...

Yes. The IETF is having too many meetings where physical presence is required in order to participate effectively in the work.

Creating the ability to mimic or replicate the effectiveness of a WG meeting is only part of the benefit of attendance at an IETF. Many of us that have been going there for years and years have the benefit of chance/rendezvous meetings in the hallway to discuss a topic

- that we didn't know was being discussed, or
- that we may now find ourselves in the middle of, or
- that a small group might want to have outside of the main discussion area/session, or
- etc

Many of us have lots of ideas bantering around in our heads between meetings (or that have been dormant for a while) that this type of chance meeting could generate something of a meeting-of-the-minds about starting something new or something different that how it's done now.

Many newcomers - whether this is their actual first meeting or just in their first few meetings - actively or passively seek out certain individuals for the possibility of having such a planned chance meeting in a hallway.

None of this can effectively be done with IETF meetings moving to webex or worse, only on email.

That said - I fully understand the financial burdens on people or corporations during non-robust years of economic (non) growth, such as we're in the middle of.

JMO, which could be wrong

James

It seems to me that IETF is going in the wrong direction in terms of meetings.

But maybe I'm getting old and cranky and everyone else has an ever expanding travel budget.

chip