Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-08 12:32:42
On 9/7/10 1:55 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On 9/3/10 3:45 PM, Hascall Sharp wrote:

Yes.  The IETF is having too many meetings where physical presence is
required in order to participate effectively in the work.
We have the same number as when I started attending around ietf 37.

It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
work in the IETF without being physically present at
meetings, as well.  The audio streaming has gotten
really excellent but that's one-way - there's far less

The IAD bought new equipment for japan, net netbooks went a long way
towards improving the sound quality over the old imbedded systems kit.

support for Jabber participation (possibly as a result
of the great audio), and for providing input from
remote locations.  There also seems to be a cultural
shift and expectations have changed.  There was one
session at the last meeting in which the chairs asked
for volunteers to do work between that meeting and
the next one, but only from people who were actually
present in the meeting room at the time.  It's also
more common to take "votes" and then announce the
results on mailing lists.

As a working group chair with a lot of if not mostly remote
particaptions I went out on my way to make sure that those who could not
attend had their views represented in opsec. That said, having only run
three two hour meetings a year, as I've done that activity, the too many
things going on in the cockpit problem is pronounced. Tracking and
engaging on the remote side while running the meeting is a lot to do
even with to chairs... the webex was a interesting experiment, and It
makes the virtual interim more productive but it's a lot to manage while
you're doing everything else.

It could be that chairs need more training or it could
be that there's a broader cultural shift, but my
perception, as someone who's both been to a lot of meetings
and done a lot of remote participation, is the same
as Chip's.

(My answer is probably different; I think
that if this is the way IETF participants prefer things,
it should be institutionalized rather than papered over).

Melinda