Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-07 16:08:23
<absolutely no hats>

On Sep 7, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On 9/3/10 3:45 PM, Hascall Sharp wrote:

Yes.  The IETF is having too many meetings where physical presence is
required in order to participate effectively in the work.
We have the same number as when I started attending around ietf 37.

It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
work in the IETF without being physically present at
meetings, as well.

When I first started coming to the IETF regularly in 1999, I rapidly concluded
that I needed to
attent (more or less) every meeting to make much of an impact. That's just my
opinion, but it would still be my recommendation.

 The audio streaming has gotten
really excellent but that's one-way - there's far less
support for Jabber participation (possibly as a result
of the great audio), and for providing input from
remote locations.  There also seems to be a cultural
shift and expectations have changed.  There was one
session at the last meeting in which the chairs asked
for volunteers to do work between that meeting and
the next one, but only from people who were actually
present in the meeting room at the time.  It's also
more common to take "votes" and then announce the
results on mailing lists.

I, at least, have not seen too much of that and, if the chairs try it,
in my experience the room or the ADs
typically quickly remind them of the correct protocol.

Regards
Marshall

It could be that chairs need more training or it could
be that there's a broader cultural shift, but my
perception, as someone who's both been to a lot of meetings
and done a lot of remote participation, is the same
as Chip's.  (My answer is probably different; I think
that if this is the way IETF participants prefer things,
it should be institutionalized rather than papered over).

Melinda